Tuesday 8 November 2016

Take a chupito

Entry 2, Tue 8 Nov

Today was an (unusually) uneventful day, as the primary school children all went out on a school trip so there were no classes to teach in the morning/early afternoon.

Instead, I happily volunteered to mark the tests which the children had done yesterday and the week before. I actually enjoyed it - but my god that was a lot of marking! Still, Maria was very pleased as it gave her time to plan her lessons for the rest of the week, which is not something she normally has much time for.

We also had a very interesting exchange in Spanish yesterday, whereby I learnt that 'chupito' means 'shot' and she learnt that a shot can come out of a bottle as well as a barrel haha.

One final thing that struck me today was a brief conversation I had with one of the nuns at the school. She asked if I was enjoying my stay there and then asked how long I was staying for: she seemed quite disappointed that I was only there for a month, "why can't you stay for longer?", she asked. It's quite wonderful how quickly you're made to feel welcome at the school in Vinalesa, and it honestly makes me wish I could stay for longer :)

¡Hasta la próxima vez!

Giacomo

1 comment:

  1. I suppose it depends whether they expect you to stay on as a volunteer or if they might actually offer you a job..or have I missed the point? Tara xx

    ReplyDelete