Thursday 17 November 2016

End of the day games

I've been carrying a ball (the size of a tennis ball) since we arrived in Chester and have not found the opportunity or courage to use it till today.  Mainly, I haven't used it because the classes are generally so large and there are so many chairs and tables in them that it's difficult to play the game in a circle.  However, today, for the last session I had a group with some difficulties (called PMAR in Spain). They are a smaller group and they have a lot of nervous energy.  So, anyway I 'bit the bullet', asked people to push chairs and tables to the sides of the room, and we all got in a circle.  I threw the ball having said 'My name is Tara. What's your name?'..I'm sure you all know how to play it..You might well have played it already with your students!

So, we did that for a while making sure everyone got the ball, and then we started with a new question like 'My favourite colour is green, what's your favourite?' etc etc.  The game is so adaptable and simple but it requires quite a lot of concentration.  I think it worked well because it was the last lesson of the day, we were probably all tired and they have all recently been doing exams and so it was like having some fun with basic English sentences..

What I found interesting was that the boys found it most tricky.  They giggled and crowded together and were generally a bit 'all over the place'.  Also, all the girls stood next to each other and all the boys did too!  The emphasis at the school seems to be very much on academic learning and it's quite serious and intense so I hope this gave them some light relief today.  I enjoyed it!  It was fun and good to see them laughing even if it was just because they were a bit embarassed.

No comments:

Post a Comment