Tuesday 28 February 2017

Last Kilos of Oranges

To be honest, I had never eaten as many oranges as I have here in such a short amount of time: freshly squeezed orange juice at the café near my school, fresh oranges as soon as I reach home, oranges before I go to sleep....
The little souls at my school have so much to learn; and so many of them seem lost early in the morning. I feel like cutting oranges for them whenever I present an exception during a grammar lesson. Today the Primeros (Beginners) were learning how to conjugate regular verbs in the past tense. I told them to watch out for the consonants 't' and 'd' as it affects their pronunciation of verbs in the past tense, and to beware of vowels before the 'y' (y before 'ed' turns into 'i' but not if there is a vowel such as 'a' or 'u'). To make their life more complicated their book had also given the verb 'to stop' to conjugate but had not given its correct form in the past tense (none knew that the 'p' doubled). Their teacher wants me to stick to her usual teaching style and spend an hour correcting exercises.
But the upper levels (Segundos, Terceros, and Cuartos) have an insightful teacher, and get a taste of contemporary up-to-date teaching. The rest of the week I will be dealing with them, and they will benefit as usual from the energy I have ingested from their local oranges.

No comments:

Post a Comment