Monday 27 February 2017

A few random thoughts

We're into the final week and I will be sorry to leave Valencia on Sunday. The city has really grown on me. The good weather has obviously helped - having the warmth of the sun on your face in February is lovely - but I will also miss the friendliness of the people and their relaxed attitude to life (even though it can be challenging when trying to prepare lessons), the Jardín del Turia, patatas bravas, and a whole host of other things.

The teaching side of things hasn't really changed since I last wrote. What I am being asked to cover is more conceptual than during my CELTA e.g. how to write a CV, how to write a formal email, and how to act in an interview. However, during a morning lesson last Friday, when the students were supposed to be working on some English computer programme but I could see some browsing fashion and holiday sites, two girls called me over and began a twenty minute conversation, initially on the upcoming fireworks (which, by the way, were the loudest I have ever heard!), and then on bullfighting. Although they struggled with vocabulary it was heartening to see them making an effort.

I have also been able to visit a primary school (Vicente Trenco, Jemima's placement). It is so different to where I am! So much colour and music; so many smiling faces. I'm not sure I have the patience to teach young children but it was definitely a worthwhile way of spending a few hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment