Monday 16 January 2017

Orange and blue and so many kisses.

Orange and blue are the colours that have filled my eyes since moving to the small town of Moncada just a week ago. Blue skies, terracotta buildings and parades of orange laden trees are a welcome change from the dreary clouds that have hung over my head and in my heart for the last few months. 
After a very intense week of UKLC training, which left a heightened rift of anxiety in everyone.  I was very ready to leave and seek out a new adventure here in Spain. As my 7am alarm bell sounded last Monday therefore I welcomed my first day at school.

Upon arriving at school in the village of Vinalesa (just 10 minutes from Moncada by bike) I was awestruck at how beautiful it was. Hidden away, the school at first appears as just another house among a procession of residential buildings but, as you step through the door you are transported to another world. The entrance opens to reveal a white marble court yard bounded by the school to the left and Australian fig trees and a citrus orchard to the right. A startling contract to the red brick and grey cement jungles typical of English schools.

The first surprise to hit me was just how many kisses I received in the first 20 minutes of stepping through that school door. The Spanish loooove to kiss, even strangers – one on both cheek, hands clamped firmly around your ears so you can’t resist. Although my institutionalised English nature was screaming at me to pull back and preserve some form of personal boundary I learnt quickly just to go with it. It makes me think, as an English person, how maintaining physical distance from one another is so subconsciously ingrained in us even from a young age. I remember vividly from my own school days being reprimanded for hugging a close friend. There is no such codswallop here, in fact, hugging is accepted and kids regularly hug their teachers and show affection. I’ve definitely had my fare share this week - to the point where I’ve regularly had to drag my legs whilst walking along the marble courtyard because of a Klingon (aka a 6 year old still attached).  Kisses and hugs are freely given and the kids are visibly happier for it- affection brings a feeling of security which cultivates a comfortable learning environment and, as we all know, a comfortable learning environment equals maximum learning. So, I think, why is showing affection so discouraged in UK schools and, could this be affecting the mental well being of our British children?

The second surprise. After observing my fellow mentor Maria (who is fantastic by the way, I can’t sing her praises enough) I was struck by how much actual time one spends teaching in a lesson. In a class of nearly 30 rowdy kids maintaining complete concentration from everyone is a challenge even for the most experienced teacher. It’s a given that I will lose at least 10 minutes every lesson just waiting for my students to be quiet and pay attention. The typical CELTA structure that has been ingrained in me since I took up this profession really goes out of the window when teaching a large class of 30 young learners. I’ve had to be resourceful, making cuts or being creative because, no matter how carefully I plan, something always happens that I don’t expect. 

The third surprise; just how quickly the days and hours fly by when you're teaching and having fun. You can start work at 8am and next thing you know it’s 4.30pm. All in all a good first week.


1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more re the hugging etc Thea. It's utterly self-defeating to instil the traditional British reserve into growing kids who simply need to feel secure, valued, appreciated and loved to develop holistically as they should. I'll get off my hobby horse now LOL!!
    I'm expecting a big difference in Spain compared with CELTA teaching practice and grateful for your observations on this which will help with my own lesson planning. Thanks hun.
    Sounds like you're having a great and successful time. Enjoy your last week. I can't wait for this time next week! x

    ReplyDelete