Tuesday 17 January 2017

Los Naranjos, Gandía, one week on

Hearing the sound of cars swishing through rainy streets in Gandía this morning. A temperature drop to freezing forecast for tonight. But I've got used to the unexpectedly cold weather in usually sunny Spain and, like the other teachers at Los Naranjos, wear layers of warm clothes.
One week on and I've got to know my way around the school, have keys to access the staff room and classrooms (which are automatically locked when the doors are closed) and have observed most of my classes and done some teaching. I'm working with three teachers, covering primary and secondary English classes and primary Natural Science and Arts and Crafts classes. This morning I'll be working with the Preschool teacher and the older (6-7 yrs) preschool kids. My classes cover all ages groups, from three to 18 years old.
Yesterday I taught a 4 ESO class (15-16 yrs) based on the Mosaic 4 coursebook reading exercise, 'The Healthy Guide to exam success'. I was aiming to have the students practice speaking English to each other as much as possible. This is quite a challenge. Although the class is not huge (only 17 students, one of the largest that I have to teach) the students speak L1 continually. So they would need a lot of encouragement before the class could be strictly L2. I gave each student a card to write their names on and display on their desk to help me learn their names. I agreed with the class that if I raise my arm it means that I want them to stop chattering and listen to me. That worked in a good humoured way.
I'm continuing the lesson today because I didn't get through everything yesterday – minor delays due to audio malfunction! Teaching at Los Naranjos is totally iPad but teachers have warned me that the technology does fail from time to time.
Many students will probably have gone on a school trip today if snow in Andorra hasn't hampered the journey so I've planned a People Bingo game for a combined class of ESO 1 & 2, which will hopefully get them speaking a lot of L2!

1 comment:

  1. I'd better put the swimming costume back in the drawer then Bonnie! Sounds like your placement is going well and good to have teaching experience across the entire age range too. Hope your final week and especially the observed lesson go well for you. Take care. Hugs and good luck. Yve x

    ReplyDelete