Thursday 19 January 2017

Better late than never! - What I remember from the training week!

After avoiding my family coughing and spluttering in my face all over Christmas, my body finally decided to give in and develop ‘that thing that’s been going round’ in the car on the way to Chester. What a great way to start a training week. I was already a mixture of nervous and excited and the lurgy felt right at home in that cocktail brewing in my stomach. But true to Carolyn’s word, all bar the lurgy dissolved pretty instantly as we got straight into the training.

The style adopted by the trainers of putting you in the position of a language student worked really well for me. It seemed easy to work out what would be fun and what would work with your own classes, if all went according to plan. Emile and Jen have different styles but both seemed to have entertainment at the core of what they did, which carried on from what the CELTA taught me quite nicely. It was nice to find out that there wasn’t such a heavy focus on grammar with younger learners.


Everyone at the training was great and the fact that everyone was from different walks of life made for some rich discussion and a great learning environment. The others being so nice did however make me feel pretty guilty when my cold started doing the rounds. I’d only just managed to survive the training with a menu of pills, lozenges, coffee and steamy showers (boiler permitting!) and whilst I was glad that the EFL gods had relieved me of my burden in time for Spain, I hoped they hadn’t cursed the others. Fingers crossed they’d also blessed me with a good school. As soon as I received my placement a fresh batch of nerves was on its way. Eep.

No comments:

Post a Comment