Wednesday 11 January 2017

Trains, planes, and training.

After an early train to get to Chester for an afternoon start, I was greeted by my fellow budding teachers with open arms. Straight off the bat we had to get our teaching caps on setting a president for the week. Any nerves or reservations withered away after a productive afternoon session and enjoyable evening in town. Whilst the company was great I made a personal error of pre-ordering a salad for dinner, meaning my anticipating tummy was met with a collection of leaves a rabbit would be disappointed with. I was lucky that a kubbutz system emerged at the dinner table and I was offered bits of my colleagues’ dinner showing how quickly we were all getting on. Luckily that was the only point of the week I was hungry as the food provided in the week would of satisfied a cow.

Aside from my eating habits, the week continued with effective training preparing us for our journey in Spain. The week flew past with new techniques being learnt and the feeling of excitement building. Before I knew it I was in the foyer of a Premier Inn in Manchester at 4 o’clock in the morning ready for the next step. As we got on the flight we were armed with new teaching practices and hunger in our bellies for the month ahead. 

Any doubts about the month ahead were squashed as we were met in Spain by a smiling sun. As we made our way to the accommodation the summer feeling continued as we drove through streets littered with oranges trees. Finally I arrived at my apartment in Godella. A cramped lift to the 5th floor later and I stepped into my home for the next month. A brightly coloured apartment was easy on the eyes, as well as the relief of seeing a kettle perched on the kitchen counter. After settling in and a quick bite in town I was tucked up ready for my school to present itself in the morning. 

I walked into my new school and was bowled over by the noise of screaming kids. The pre-warning from UKLC about the noise became a reality as I navigated my way through the bustling ninos in pre-school. As I escaped the million Spanish questions from the pre-school kids I was met with the inquisitive stares of the teenagers. As I steered my way through the school I met Pilar my tutor who greeted me in typical European fashion. This greeting continued in the staff room and was overwhelming as I was trying to remember names amongst the kisses, however the welcome was very settling. I was taken to classes all day and before I knew it I was teaching conditionals and explaining the English education system to eager teenagers. I was impressed with all the ages (12-17) level of English and the strictly L2 rule in class. The great work my tutors have put in to learning English at my school has given me a great platform to work with for this coming month.

Let the teaching begin.





2 comments:

  1. Strict L2 rule, you lucky bastard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your first week and observation have gone well Greg. Good to know the L2 rule really is strictly observed!Good luck in week two. Yve

    ReplyDelete