Monday 16 January 2017

Chilling in Chilulla

Working in the Schola Acadamie in Moncada this past week has certainly been an 'eye-opener'. I am in awe of both the teachers who teach there and the of the students who attend the classes. The teachers work back to back sessions in the mornings and also in the evenings - finishing at around 9.30pm. They teach students from the age of 3 years old to 63 Years old and of course all the varying levels and abilities within this range. The students are there to develop thier English to a level where they can pass the Cambridge exams in order to give themselves a chance of wider opportunities. It's serious stuff! They attend lessons after school and work, sometimes 3/4 times per week and both the teachers and the students are dedicated to the cause.
So where have I fitted in? Over the course of the week I progressed from observing lessons, to participating, to part teaching and finally delivering full lessons, back to back myself. All in all its been a good week even though the learning curve straightened out to be pretty much at a 90 degree angle. Luckily for me, those fabulous teachers who work extremely hard, also play hard and a 10 km hike in the mountains of Chilulla at the end of the week was just the ticket for a bit of  relaxation.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mandy
    Hope the remainder of your placement including final observed lesson go well for you. I've appreciated your blogs so far and just re-read them as I'm following you to Moncada at the weekend and can't wait! Any further pearls of wisdom you can share would be appreciated if you have time. Looking forward to the hike in the mountains. I knew there was a reason for all the walking I did over Christmas! Donde hay por aqui cerca un supermercado?! ~Boy am I glad I bought a Spanish dictionary and phrase book!!
    Buenos Dias. Con amor. Yve x

    ReplyDelete