Wednesday 1 March 2017

And now the end is near...!

Hi all

My what a lot has happened since my last blog post! More great lessons with my B1 and B2 classes on conditionals, essay and article writing and one of my best lessons of the whole placement with a C1 class on modal verbs last Saturday. I know I still have much to improve on but as this fantastic experience draws to a close, I feel more confident in myself and in how to deliver interesting and engaging lessons to non-native students. Whilst there were a few things I could have done differently during my observed lesson, I was broadly pleased with both my lesson pace and delivery and the students' engagement which I hope will be fully revealed in their homework!! I had planned my activities to introduce/revise the use of adjectives and adverbs for use in writing an article about 'my favourite space'. However the lesson lacked more opportunites for students to discuss their ideas; an observation I readily accept! This is a steep learning curve but I feel that I'm improving all the time and the rapport I have with all classes continues to encourage me and give me confidence. I am so grateful for all the erasmus experience has given me over the last month.

The social side too has provided many memorable moments too; especially last weekend. After another quick dip in the swimming poolon Saturday afternoon, it was time to catch the metro to Valencia to experience the spectacle of a pre-Fire Festival firework display. I´'ve never seen metro or any other trains so packed with people! The crowds filled the streets too as we all walked to a suitable vantage point from which we could watch the display. Unfortunately we ended up on a side street with a limited view of one of the noisiest and most spectacular fireworks displays I've ever been to and as you can see from clips on You Tube. Then, Laura, Hazel, Vivienne, Jonathan and me, found a brilliant restaurant for arguably the best meal we have had during our stay in Spain. La Bruselas offered us both wonderful food which just kept coming; great value and with fabulous service. The waiter reminded some of us of Basil Fawlty as he raced up and down stairs serving food and clearing dirty dishes but all done with one of the broadest smiles you have ever seen!! As we left, it was hugs alround and some fond memories to accompany a satisfied appetite!

On Sunday, I visited the Anglican church community again. There was no Eucharist this week but a very warm welcome once again with friendships formed amid promises to remain in touch on my return to the UK. This has also been a highlight of my stay in Spain and somewhere I would seek to engage with on a regular basis if I moved to Spain for any length of time in the future. In the afternoon, I spent a brilliant few hours walking to and along the beach with Laura in bright sunshine in February!! Not what I would have been doing in ole blighty! Although our paella was eaten in shade and rather on the pricey side, this had been another brilliant day!

"And now the end is near, and so I face the final curtain..." as I plan my last few lessons and prepare to fly home after one of the best experiences of my life. Thank you with all my heart to UKLC and all at Schola, Moncada.

No comments:

Post a Comment