Saturday 4 March 2017

Bringing it all back home

So, we've reached the end of our four-week Valencian adventure. Yesterday was my observed lesson and it went ok despite computer issues that meant losing the first fifteen minutes or so. However, the students actively participated and at the end of the lesson, Almudena, the teacher, told me that they were concerned as to whether I had passed, which was sweet. It was graduation day for the 2nd year vocational students so the lesson I had with Vicente, my tutor, was spent with him and one of the energy efficiency students giving me a guided tour of their installation in the workshop. It was great to see everyone buzzing around trying to get their displays finished for the open evening taking place in a matter of hours.

Although I found my placement at Jesuitas difficult at times (Almudena told me that during her first year there she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing!), I left the school on a positive note. I don't think I could work there, but I guess that having your own classes from the beginning of the year, rather than just stopping by for a month, are two very different things.

I don't want to ramble on so here are my highlights of Valencia:

  • Participating in Cefire. It was great to be involved in something from start to finish. We met some brilliant teachers, and I have learnt a great deal especially in terms of resources. Oana (the programme coordinator) is a truly lovely person and you cannot help but be infected by her enthusiasm.
  • The occasions when my students made an effort to speak English because it showed that they have the ability but just lack confidence.
  • The medieval carnival at Vicente Trenco. Seeing all the children dressed up as jesters, minstrels, dragons, knights, and princesses go parading through Moncada accompanied by a samba band was fantastic. It wouldn't happen back in the UK!
  • The paella prepared by Julio. I ate so much I literally waddled back to the flat.
  • The meal at Restaurante Bruselas.
  • Strolling around the Jardin del Turia in the late afternoon sunshine.
So although the placement was perhaps not as I had anticipated, I have absolutely no regrets in coming out to Spain. If someone offered me the chance to stay in Valencia I would accept without hesitation.

I will finish by saying a big thank you to UKLC, Carolyn, Amy, Michael, Alicia, Mampa, all at Schola, and my fellow trainees.

Hasta que nos encontremos de nuevo.



No comments:

Post a Comment